Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Horror














I’ve got a bit of a cat problem.

I’m not talking about an “I’m-an-old-lady-with-50-cats-living-in-the-wallboard” kind of problem. Unfortunately, my cat problem rests firmly on the slinky shoulders of a lone tabby named Yoko.

Yoko came to us, her unsuspecting family, three years ago, one of a West Virginia barn litter, irresistible as such furry little kittens tend to be.

From the beginning, though, we noticed something a little…different about her. Not content to playfully gambol with her ball of yarn and toy mouse as other kittens might, our Yoko – all 8 inches of her – treated them more in the manner of Achilles dragging Hector’s bloody remains ‘round the walls of Ilium. In short, she had a genius for murder.

Sad to say, as then went the kitten, so now goes the cat.

It being summer, and good hunting, she’s now out all night, stalking the fescue, crouching in surprise for what little-knowing fauna comes her way. And, oh my, what a feast of fauna comes her way...

So far this season, our front doormat has been transformed into the final resting place for: 3 adult mice, 1 baby mouse; approximately 5 vole-like creatures; 2 baby robins (separate days); one extremely large crow; an unidentifiable rodent, as well as numerous, well-camouflaged bits of gore and organ meat.

Put it this way – we do not venture forth, without wearing our shoes. In fact, my current nightmare involves walking out the door to pick up the paper and finding a small poodle or even an unwary toddler blocking my way.

All this would be fine, were it not for Yoko’s territorial ambitions. Our mere quarter-acre of savannah not offering quite enough prey, she’s recently gotten in the habit of raiding robin’s nests in our neighbors’ yards. Inevitably, she winds up mauling a baby bird in full view of said neighbor’s once-innocent, now-crying four-year-old daughter. You can well imagine the darkened looks that are passing across property lines.

But the final straw snapped one morning earlier this week, when, leaving the house, I was delighted to discover that Yoko had outdone herself, strewing a debris-field which included both a vole and a bird, as well as an ineffable, kidney-like thing.

Picking up the flat garden shovel I keep handy for this purpose (less stomach-churning damage to the corpse), I scooped up the dead and set off down the block toward the storm drain I use as the all-purpose crypt for Yoko’s victims.

At precisely this moment, out of a neighboring home steps a young mom and her two small children, off to run chores or pick daisies in a world that simply does not include what will all-too-shortly be the vision of grim, violent death resting on my garden shovel.

To change course was impossible. I thought for a moment of lifting the shovel high over my head so neither the children nor the adult would see what it was carrying, but I was more afraid of having the little bodies roll off the blade and drop, crushed and broken, directly in the toddlers’ path.

So I just kept going, smiling politely, just as though I were carrying a tray of deviled eggs. I will not attempt to describe the shadow that passed across my neighbor’s face as she glanced at my grim cargo. I will only say that, as they hurried on behind me, I heard one of the toddlers ask, “Mommy, was that birdie sleeping?” I’m sure that Mom was thanking me ardently in her heart for serving up an existential crisis for her pre-schooler.

A bell simply isn’t enough for this cat. Does anyone make an “air-horn collar?” Or where could I find that face-cage thing that Hannibal Lector wore in Silence of the Lambs?

6 comments:

Wren said...

I had the same problem with my tuxedo cat, who conned us into adopting him when he was a kitten by showing up at the back door scared and hungry.

Little did we know this skinny guy knew all about hunting game and survival of the fittest.

For many years, we found all manner of mauled and expired small creatures offered on the doormat. Goldfinches, rats, lizards. One evening we watched, slack-jawed, as the cat snatched a low-flying little brown bat right out of the air. He just ... reached up for it.

It all changed a few years ago when the cat got bitten by something and the tiny wound on his belly turned into an abscess and went septic. After a series of huge veterinary bills and days of having to flush the cat's wound in the kitchen sink -- he was not amused and no one escaped without injuries -- he finally healed. And ever since that day, our outdoor, butch, neutered tomcat has lived indoors.

No more tiny corpses on the doorstep. The cat has finally decided living inside is pretty cushy. And my wallet is deeply grateful.

The only drawback is the Dreaded Cat Box, which I hate. But they sell nice odor-absorbing litter these days, so it's mostly bearable.

Just bring your slinky hunter inside -- for good.

Anonymous said...

Naw, let the bugger roam. My own little bundle of fluff (nee Udamm, as in Udamm Cat!) had his own exit doors and came and went as he pleased. I often had to chase snakes and li'l rodents (including rabbits) out of the house, but my neighbor did note the fact that there were fewer rats in the neighborhood. I belled him, so birds were not much threatened. He cowered under the car when the bluejays were nesting.

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of these? Though it might encourage your cat to hunt you. (anti-hunting bib) Make sure any collar you use is break away.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1226

You can either cat proof your fence, or put up a cat proof fence, if fencing is allowed. That would keep the hunting range down to a minimum. A bell might also help, but they do learn to walk silently even when belled.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for article!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Glad to read articles like this. Thanks to author!